Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Manic Monday...

I am now going to Dr. Newman's office on Monday's and Thursday's until Nolan is born!  That was the recommendation from the high-risk dr. so that is what I am doing.  On Monday's I have an NST (non-stress test on Nolan) where I just lay in a recliner with a remote in hand (awesome) and they hook me up to machines and monitor Nolan's heart rate and movement for about 30 minutes.  This week was my 3rd time to do it so I know what to expect and hasn't been a big deal.  Every Thursday I have an ultrasound and see Dr. Newman just for a check-in really.

This was the first day of my spring break so I literally rolled out of bed, got a quick shower and headed to the office at 8 am.  I did eat in the car on the way but I hadn't paid much attention to Nolan's movements because I was in a hurry.  The nurse called me back, got my lazy-boy reclined and said she was having a hard time picking up his heartbeat.  After about 5 minutes she said she needed to go check in with the ultrasound tech and work me in with her so we could see the baby and make sure everything was alright.  (note:  panic mode starts here)

I told the nurse I was starting to freak out and she says, "don't worry yet, we'll tell you when it's time to worry."  Well, that didn't ease my mind too much.  I get set up in the ultrasound room and tech comes in and says, "so, you haven't been feeling your baby move this morning?"  I explained to her I rushed to the office and hadn't been paying attention.  Then she asked why I was having an NST done and I told her it was because of Nolan's 2 vessel-cord.  She started the ultrasound and started doing measurements on Nolan.  I waited about a minute and said, "Shelly, is my baby alive?"  Shelly says, "yes, here's his heartbeat right here" and she let me listen to it.  COME ON Shelly!!  Throw me a bone, that could've been discussed when she first started looking at him!  For the record, Shelly is my favorite there but I do think it could've been handled slightly better.  (The person's name is changed to protect the lady...I refuse to talk trash about an actual person...so I used a fake name = classy!)

Turns out, Nolan looked fine and was weighing in at 5 pounds, 5 ounces!  Next, Shelly sat me in a waiting area and I kept waiting.  About 20 minutes later another nurse walked by and I asked her if everything was ok, why was I waiting?  She said that Dr. Newman wanted to see me just to check in with me and let me know things were alright.  Granted, the nurse gave me no huge reason to panic....but I of course did!! Monday's are not my days to see Dr. Newman so I didn't understand why she would want to see me. unless she found something wrong.  I called Gray and he was on his way home from the gym.  I expressed my fears to Gray that things just didn't seem right so after a minute debate he decided to drive up to meet me (with gas prices at $3.50 a gallon, why wouldn't he?!) 

I got into a room and called Gray again to find out where he was and telling him I was starting to think a little more rationally and surely she wouldn't have me sit and wait if there was something really wrong.  Gray said he wasn't far away.  Dr. Newman came in and I immediately explained I may have had a small freak out and Gray was on his way so she would know he would be walking in soon.  Dr. Newman felt horrible and she assured me that Nolan was great, he was still breach which made it very difficult for the nurse to pick up his heartbeat on the NST.  She said if there was really something wrong she would've been there immediately and to not doubt that!  We discussed him being breach and she said she would like to go ahead and schedule a c-section so that I would be on her schedule and if he flips we won't worry about it but at least it would be in the works.  So, I officially have a c-section scheduled for Wednesday, May 4th!  Still not positive on how I feel about this but most importantly I want Nolan to be safe and healthy.  We talked about his 2 vessel-cord and how this may be his best position to get what he needs right now.  Unless Nolan makes a move...May 4th is his Birthday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment