Sunday, April 17, 2011

Birthing Class

Gray and I attended a Child Birth class this past Tuesday and Thursday nights.  We have been so busy this spring and I knew it was something I wanted to do but also knew it wasn't a necessity but something I really wanted to have the experience of.  Gray was more than willing to go and once the day came I was really excited.  The class was taught at my ob/gyn's office by a labor and delivery nurse at Women's East which is where I plan to have Nolan.  The nurse was very thorough and Gray and I really enjoyed it and learned a lot!  We took a tour of Women's East which was great, I had been there before to visit friends but got the in's and out's of the hospital by the nurse.  What I appreciated most about her throughout the class and during the tour was her candidness about the hospital and what we can do to make our stay there more enjoyable.   For example, she told us which ice machine to use for the better ice!  It's the simple things people!  She was very honest about their procedures and definitely informed us as our rights as patients.  She said that if you have a baby in the middle of the night, the night nurses are more likely to try and take your baby to the nursery for a bath....she said we can request (demand) that the baby be cleaned in our room and they will do it.  But, you have to ask.  There are just so many things I wouldn't have known we had a say in had we not attended this class! 

After Tuesday, I was a little disappointed that she didn't cover c-sections much but she covered the procedure thoroughly on Thursday.  Gray and I were really glad she did and we both feel better about the whole thing!  Gray is still saying that no one can convince him that c-section isn't the way to go!  I have mixed feelings but do feel like with a c-section (going in with it planned) you know what to expect.  Whereas with a vaginal delivery you could end up with an emergency c-section after hours of laboring.  One thing we asked the nurse was about Gray cutting the umbilical cord and if he would be able to with a c-section.  She looked at us kind of funny and Gray said, "well, we've heard no that it's not possible."  (side note:  she knows who my dr. is because we had to tell her when the class began)  She said, "well, it's not hospital procedure but Dr. Newman is our only dr. who will allow dad's that privilege during a c-section.  It drives us all crazy because it isn't supposed to happen but she allows it and we have to go with it!"  I know she isn't happy about this, but Gray and I are thrilled!! Thank you for being a rule breaker Dr. Newman!  Hopefully that will still be the case when we have Nolan!

All in all, it was a great experience.  We had some good laughs, the videos were really dated....but we just had fun and it made the excitement of having Nolan that much more real! 

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, the videos, how I loathed them!

    I didn't realize that it wasnt typical for the father to cut the cord after c-section, I've learned something! I'm glad your doctor is the the exception though, I'd hate to know Gray would miss out on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Chuck and I must have gone to that same class! Ha!
    -Jill

    ReplyDelete