Saturday, May 14, 2011

May 4, 2011, part I

"We prayed for this child and the Lord has granted us what we asked of Him."  I Samuel 1:27

 On May 4, 2011 my life forever changed.  It is one of the sweetest days I will ever have and one of the most proud days of Gray and I's marriage.  The birth of our first son, I still can't believe I'm actually saying that!!

The day started out very early, we had to be at the hospital at 7:00 am.  After very little sleep I woke up with my swollen eyes and stuffy nose and began to get ready for the biggest day of my life!  I eagerly hopped out of bed when the alarm went off and began getting ready.  I gave myself plenty of time but couldn't seem to finish a task, I was so excited/anxious/nervous all at the same time!  I curled my hair (I had to look my best to meet Nolan) and Gray and I did the finally packing call...you would've thought we were moving into the joint!

I walked into Women's East holding my diaper wreath and a baby bag, all the nurses commented on how sweet the wreath was!  Thank you Emily, she made it for my shower and I kept it with anticipation of it going on the hospital room door.  We had to spend the morning in a triage room because all the rooms were taken but my nurse assured me when I got out of surgery I would go straight to a room.  The triage room was a little cramped but Gray and I didn't know any different so it worked out fine!  My nurse was great, we went through a series of questions, I met with the anesthiesologist and several others throughout the morning.  Dr. Newman called my nurse about 9:00 am and asked if I was ready and my nurse said I still needed more fluids so Dr. Newman said she was going to take another patient and my c-section would run a little behind schedule.  The anticipation from 9:00 on was crazy...I knew the call would come for me to get to go back I just didn't know when Gray and I were so excited!


About 10:35 they finally came and got me and said we were ready!  Gray came with me to the O.R. but had to stay outside while they did my spinal.  That felt like an eternity to me and Gray.  In the O.R. there were so many people and so much going on.  I really like all the nurses and the anesthiologist.  My only request to the anesthiologist was that he not land me in the wheel chair olympics!! He said it hasn't happened yet and he wasn't planning on me being the first!  The spinal really wasn't that bad, it felt really funny but went well.  The stinky part was they tilted the table with my head downward then side to side to make sure the spinal got evenly distributed.  I told them that if I was someone who enjoyed drugs and out of body experiences this was way to go. However, I did not enjoy it!  They did quite a few tests for my feeling and we waited on Dr. Newman. There was so much going on around me but I was in quite a haze I couldn't tell you much about it.  They finally let Gray in and Dr. Newman came in shortly after.  While scrubbing down Dr. Newman came over and prayed with us.  She told us that she had told her husband before leaving this morning she was excited about today because she was getting to deliver our baby and how we had a story similar to theirs (2 miscarriages).  I hate it that we have both experienced that but it gives her such empathy which I appreciate more than anything!

Once she got in and started it seemed like minutes until Nolan was born!  I felt a lot of strong tugging on my stomach, they told Gray to stand up because he was coming!!  I couldn't even believe it...my little boy was about to be seen!!  As soon as they pulled him out I heard him cry!!  Dr. Newman asked them to quickly lower the sheet so I could see him....he looked PERFECT!  I could not believe he was mine and I would be his mom!!  At 11:08 Nolan Edward Ange was born!!  They called Gray over to cut the cord, although I couldn't see it I think he did it with ease!
 They had to take him and get him cleaned up and weigh him before I could really see him up close.  I just kept looking over where he was and telling Gray take pictures, I hated that I couldn't really see everything that was going on, Gray did a great job of taking lots of pics!  The nurses were also really great to take pictures for us as well!
Technically, our first family photo!! 

1 comment:

  1. oh yay! I have been checking your blog like twice a day waiting for this!

    You looked beautiful and Nolan is adorable!

    ReplyDelete